Depression Management Toolbox
Below, I’ve listed a number of symptoms that people who have depression may experience, along with some tools you can use to manage those symptoms. We will discuss these issues further during your psychotherapy session.
Symptoms: Helplessness about depression
Symptoms: Depressive thoughts and feelings
- Tool: Cognitive strategies. Read The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression.
- Tool: Mindfulness strategies. Read The Mindful Way Workbook
Symptoms: Rumination and/or Negative thoughts and feelings about self
- Tool: Enhance your self-compassion. Try mindful self-compassion meditations here or here.
- Tool: Continued work on Self-Compassion. Read There is Nothing Wrong with You by Cheri Huber
Symptoms: Fatigue, low energy, poor concentration
- Tool: Exercise. This web page provides some helpful guidance about getting started with an exercise plan.
Symptoms: Lack of energy, motivation or productivity, loneliness
- Tool: Activity scheduling, otherwise known as behavioral activation.
Check out the Anxiety Management Toolbox, too.